Monday, October 20, 2008

PSATs: Is There a Better Way?

Last week we had PSAT testing, and all the juniors were testing in the auditorium. It took around a half hour to get us all seated. Every time I tried sitting down someone told me I wasn't allowed to sit in this section until a different had been filled, which I couldn't sit in until another was filled, which I couldn't sit in because it was filled. I ended up going around the auditorium probably three times, and it probably took a good 20 minutes for everyone to get seated. Then for another 5 minutes kids were being moved around and rows were being emptied and told to sit elsewhere. Whatever focus we had accumulated going into the test had been diminished by frustration at this time, and they were still rushing to get the test started. Another 15 minutes later, we finally opened our booklets to get underway, when the fire alarm suddenly rings.

I am willing to bet money that these unnecessary delays and interruptions indirectly caused a drop in everyone's scores. It is a lot harder to focus when you're frustrated, and you're not as calm as you should be while taking a test. So of course after the test, I wondered, "Is there a more efficient, better way for these tests to be taken? Could it be that hard for our school to figure out an easier way to get us more organized and situated?" Maybe having separate testing days of times for different grade levels would help. What do you think?

4 comments:

isaacswrit10392 said...

The PSAT testing situation was pretty annoying I'm not going to lie. Although I got in my seat quickly, the distractions, delays, and the inability for alot of us to hear the instructor even as she spoke on the microphone (and I was literally right in front of her and I couldn't hear her)must have indirectly caused some poor grades. Just like a band competition, when we lose focus in the beginning,no matter how much focus you had before, it will frustrate and confuse you and most likely lessen the chance of a good outcome. Also, a lot of people had to sit on the stage, which apparently was freezing according to one of my friends, likewise attributed to people's potential low test scores. I'm not fully blaming the disorganized PSAT testing for our "might be low scores," however.

Mariana Michelsen said...

I 100% agree with what you said, the PSAT was extremely unorganized and frustrating. I personally had to move too and I lost my focus from being so annoyed, and lets not even talk about when the fire alarm went off. Being me, I need to concentrate a lot to be able to understand what I am reading, I really do think i have A.D.D, and when the fire alarm went off I was done. I couldn't concentrate again and it definitely affected my test score. Next year, I agree they should work on the organization of the test.

TStok said...

I am dismayed to read about this! Please pass your thoughts and ideas on to a guidance counselor so this does not happen again.

Brock said...

I agree with everything you said. The PSAT was so unorganized and had many distractions and delays. One of the worst was the fire alarm! I don't understand how you can have a fire alarm go off during such an important test. Then, the proctors decide to give us the 1 minute back. 1 minute? Maybe the alarm was going off for 1 minute but I know my attention was gone for at least 3 minutes following the alarm. I thought this year the PSAT situation was terrible and the school should let us retake it due to all of the distractions in the beginning and ridiculous happenings of the day.