Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Which answer do you give?
After much thinking, I concluded that when someone asks you your opinion on a certain issue, there are two types of answers you can give: What you really think, or what you think they want to hear. Of course often times what you really is the same thing they want to hear, but often it's not. In the classroom, there are students who don't really tell the teacher what they truly think because they are afraid their true opinion might offend the teacher (which in many cases it will). When a friend asks your opinion and your "true" answer might offend them, do you give it to them? What about when a teacher asks?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I think you have to know where to draw the line with some people. The whole idea of telling the absolute truth, and nothing but the truth, isn't always reality. Society today is so concerned with being "politically correct" and not offending others, the complete truth about issues is rarely heard anymore. The only way to get an honest answer, really, is if you ask for one specifically, or if whoever you are asking thinks they know you well enough to not care about offending you. A bit harsh, but actuality.
Telling people what you really think is aways good, but it dosn't always get you where you want to go. This is especially the case if you are one of those people that say litterally what is on your mind and don't think twice on the proper way to say it. There are ways to saying what you really think and not offending the person or having people get mad at you, it just requires a little more thinking.
No matter who it is, I always give the truthful answer. Doesn't matter if it's a family member or a teacher or a close friend. Sometimes it's not what they want to hear, but speaking your mind, to me, is extremely important. When you reply, you don't have to be too harsh about it, but just tell them what is really on your mind. There is no use in lieing, because that doesn't get you anywhere.
In today's society, no one really comes out with the truth anymore. People just say what that person wants to hear, not what they feel.
When a friend asks me a question I give them the truth of what I believe whether it hurts them or not. See thats what friends are for, to tell you what they think no matter what otherwise they are just blowing smoke up your butt. When it comes to the teacher on the other hand, your grade is at stake. Would you rather tell her what you think and question the authority which may result in the downfall of your grade, or just go along with the flow make it sound good and possibly just maybe get a pat in the back and an extra A. I realize this is a major problem which the students should not suffer from but it is reality and its something we all have to go through at one point or another.
This is a difficult question. I would hope that most students are honest with me when I ask a question, but I know that is not the case. I also know that often I think carefully about my answers, especially when I am working with bosses or peers - people with whom you need to have a positive relationship.
This is why teaching about language use is so important. There are ways to make statements or answer questions that are not as harsh or aggressive. If you understand that right way to make your point, especially sensitive ones, you will get much farther with your audience.
When it comes to questions like this it really depends on the situation and the person who you are talking to.Obviously, sometimes we know when its acceptable to tell someone a white lie to protect them. However, you should always strive to tell the truth as much as possible. Even if the truth is what the person may not want to hear. In the end, it will always work out. Also, lying just builds into more lies which then become hard to track, getting you caught up in a web of lies.
Post a Comment