I know, you see it all the time! Students posting about how marijuana should be legal because it's less harmful than alcohol, in America we should have the freedom to coke out until our teeth fall out, original legislation was passed because of racism and aspirin, ect ect ect. However, I am not going to be talking about those issues here, I am talking about police abuses of the law.
According to Barry Cooper, an ex-narcotic turned activist, every cop has heard of the west Texan officer who used to peacefully conduct raids. When he got a search warrant for a person's home (I'm not even getting into how police get those now a days!), he would stake out their home and wait until they came out. Then he would pull them over in a traffic stop, arrest them there, and use their house keys to get into the home with them present.
Today's raids are slightly different. Instead of waiting patiently out side a person's home, police like to kick down doors. They burst into the house carrying semi-automatic weapons, smoke grenades, and violence. SWAT teams are often used for these raids to arrest non-violent offenders. There are many stories of mothers being shot, houses trashed, and kids traumatized because the police would rather crush people with the powerfull steel hammer of the law than think about the people they victimize.
Stories like that of the 25 year old mother who was shot to death while she held nothing but her year old daughter are making me lose respect for this country everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Everything the police does is terrible, but they do it for a reason. Not only is it to make an example out of suspects, but they want to force fear into the people by reminding everyone of the power they hold. I agree that marijuana should be legalized but for a different reason than most people. I find it unjust to intrude on others' lives and restrict or mandate any given activity. I'm not saying that drugs like heroine or or cocaine aren't harmful, but just because I don't support its use doesn't mean I want to prohibit others' personal decisions. In other words, prohibition doesn't work. Take the prohibition of alcohol for example. That was such a disastrous piece of legislation that congress had to ratify a whole new constitutional amendment to repeal it. Unfortunately, we will always be a nation of limited freedom. America's justification: freedom needs to be taken away in order to be free.
I know this has nothing to do with your post but Happy Birthday!!! and Happy Thanksgiving
The cops now a days definitely abuse their power, they know they can do what they want and they do it. That is not what a police officer is supposed to do, they are supposed to keep us safe. Not to mention how disrespetful they have become. Just a couple of weekends ago I was sitting in the car with my friend outside a party and the cop came and knocked on the window like if trying to break it and I'm not exaggerating when I say he was yelling at us. We were sitting in a car waiting for our friend to come out and he even threatened us that we were lucky we weren't in a neighbors yard or he would have shot us. Are you kidding me? How uneccesary is that, he definitely needed to reasure himself of his power.
Post a Comment